Domestic violence is the use of power and control over another, most commonly in intimate partner relationships. Domestic violence can be in the form of physical violence as well as the threat of physical violence. It can also be repeated or serious behavior that causes the victim annoyance or alarm.
A person subjected to domestic violence has a right to seek a protective order against their abuser. If your spouse has abused you or if you live in fear of spousal abuse, we at JM Blattner, LLC can help you obtain a protective order (also known as a restraining order). A protective order instructs the abuser not to assault, threaten, abuse, follow, harass or interfere with you and your children in person, at work, on the telephone, or by other means. It can order the abuser out of the family home and to stay away from you. It can give you temporary custody of your child and order temporary spousal support as well.
At JM Blattner, LLC we can help you obtain either of two kinds of protective orders:
• Ex parte/temporary protective orders take effect immediately, and are based solely on your testimony to a judge. They can be obtained anytime, on any day.
• Final domestic violence protective orders Requires a Final Protective Order hearing, which is a trial. Both parties have an opportunity to tell his or her side of the incident, and to present evidence regarding what occurred and the history of domestic violence. If granted, this order can provide long-term relief.
Our lawyers can also advise on what you need to do to protect yourself and preserve evidence of abuse and threats, whether they are against you or against your children. We can answer your questions about your specific issues and develop a plan if your situation involves:
• Serving a person with an order
• Assault, battery, or aggravated assault
• Child molestation
• Child neglect
• Stalking, harassment, or defamation in person, by phone, text, or via social media like Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
• Sexual assault or sexual abuse
• Property damage such as slashed tires
• An impending divorce or custody dispute
• A same-sex relationship or LGBT-related legal issues
• Criminal charges
We understand the legal, emotional, and financial aspects of even the most difficult situations. The domestic violence attorneys at JM Blattner, LLC, are dedicated to providing victims of domestic violence with the compassion and advocacy that they deserve.